30 days ago my skin was pretty.... ugly.
This blog is all about positivity and building confidence, but I really have to give it to you straight: I felt ugly because of how bad my face was breaking out! It was partly due to me not taking the time to properly care for it and partly due to using the wrong products. I have learned the importance of investing in my skin and taking better care of it and I am proud to say that I don't feel ugly anymore. Actually...I feel beautiful! And it only took me 30 days to get these results. Keep scrolling to read exactly what I did to get these results, see my before and after pictures, and learn how you can do it, too!
Before I started my first real skin care regimen, I was using prescription strength Retin-A (tretinoin) 0.05% and my face looked HORRIBLE!
I know that when you first start a topical retinoid, your face will go through the "ugly" period until your skin becomes adjusted. Well, despite following all of the instructions of how to apply correctly (i.e wait 30 minutes after washing to apply, use every other night in, etc.), my skin was STILL red, splotchy, dry, and flaking 4 months later.
AND I was getting cystic acne: the blemishes were painful and huge. Also, my pores were the largest I had ever seen them. I was embarrassed and ashamed of how my skin looked.
It was perfect timing: I had just met Cheri, who is now my friend as well as my business partner. The night we met she gave me a mini facial sample of Rodan + Fields. I had never heard of this company, but after trying (and loving!) the mini facial, I looked into the products more. My initial thought was that they were kind of pricey, but at that point I was willing to pay pretty much anything to clear up my face. I decided to try the acne regimen, UNBLEMISH.
I am pretty amazed at my 30 day UNBLEMISH results. When I first started I was hoping to see improvement in 60 days, but I still had that money back guarantee in the back of my mind because I had my doubts. From the first day of starting this regimen I knew I was not going to be returning it. My first use of the regimen left my skin soft and glowing. However, I must say that the initial "purge" was difficult to deal with. A purge is when your skin initially gets worse before it starts to get better. It means the products are working! For me, this started on day 2 and lasted for about 3 days.
Some people might see the $180 price tag on the UNBLEMISH regimen and think NO WAY! Heck, I even thought that at first! But I quickly dismissed that thought. Here's why...
As a personal user of these products with real results AND as a licensed pharmacist, let me tell you why this is actually a very reasonable price:
- The regimen will last you 60 DAYS. So technically that is $90 per month. I am just 30 days into using mine and have plenty of product left!
- Think about this: what is your copay to see the dermatologist? By using this regimen, you will eliminate that cost along with the HASSLE of making the appointment AND the time & gas money it takes to drive you there
- Another eliminated cost: your prescription! It is a known fact in the medical world that tretinoin (brand name = Retin-A) is the gold standard for treating acne (and wrinkles). As a pharmacist, trust me when I say: your insurance is most likely not going to cover this product! Especially if you are an adult with acne. Now there are definitely some insurances that will cover the generic tretinoin right away. BUT I would say about 80% of the time you will need to get a prior authorization. What does that mean? Basically, a headache. It is an explanation I will save for another post, but just know this: it is a long process to have the insurance approve paying for your prescription.
- You may think: well, if my insurance is going to be a pain I will just pay out of pocket. My response to that? START SAVING NOW! The average retail price of GENERIC tretinoin is $209.75. (GoodRx) Yikes!
- So why not just bypass all of this headache and save yourself some money by using products that work! And even if they do not work for you, there is a 60 day EMPTY BOTTLE 100% money back guarantee. Does your prescription have that? (Rhetorical question!)
Here are the BEFORE & AFTER pictures that I took:
The left side is BEFORE starting UNBLEMISH.
The right side is 30 DAYS using UNBLEMISH.
I took the pictures in the same spot in my house, near a window on overcast days. However, on my 30 day pictures I think I was slightly closer to the window hence why they are a little lighter.
NOTE: There are NO filters or PHOTOSHOP on these pictures! These are my real life results!!
I know my skin is far from perfect, but I am so happy not to have to deal with those disgusting break outs anymore. Once I finish the full 60 days of this regimen, I am going to use the R+F REVERSE lightening regimen to fade my scars and spots from sun damage.
What do you think of my results so far?
Please only leave a comment if you are going to be polite and supportive! Like I said, my skin could still use some major improvement, but I am making strides every day to take better care of it! And by posting my own personal results, I hope I can encourage my readers to make the decision to start taking better care of their skin, too!
As always, if you have any questions about the products that I use and sell, leave me a comment or feel free to email me!